Sunday, July 29, 2018

The journey to my $100,000 portfolio


On 5th Jan 2018, I shared that I had achieved a new milestone - $100,000 portfolio (See post here)



Let me reflect back to where I first started on my investment journey....................
 
 
 
 
 
I first started off with purchasing silver coins sometime in 1H 2009 where Silver price is around USD14+.
 
 
 
I did not purchase Silver because I am interested in Silver.
Rather, I was interested in Gold.
But in 1H 2009, I was just about to ORD from the army to step into the corporate world.
So, money is my limitation.
 
 
 
This is how Gold chart look like back in 2009
 
 
 
 
After doing some research, I discovered that:
  • Gold price have been increasing year after year. That seem like a sure win way to increase my money value
  • Silver is the poor man's gold
  • Gold Silver ratio between 50 - 80 range on average. This mean if Gold price raises, Silver price will raise too and vice versa.
 
Gold Silver Ratio
 
 
With the above, I did my first virgin purchase of silver coins in 1H 2009.
 
Over the years, I bought all kinds of Silver coins and Bars (Bullions and Numismatics), mainly Canadian Silver Maple, American Silver Eagle, Australian Silver Kookaburra, Chinese Silver Panda, Nadir Silver Bar, PAMP Silver Bar, Metalor Silver Bar and etc.
 
I also opened UOB Silver saving account to trade paper silver, but this is horrible due to the high monthly fees.
 
I also bought some gold coins (Bullions) such as Chinese Gold Panda and Australian Gold Kangaroo Nugget.
 
 
In 2012, Singapore government announced the removal of GST for Investment Precious Metals from 1 October 2012. This is a bad news for existing precious metals holders as the value of all our precious metals will drop by 7% due to this.
 
To make my investment journey worst, after 12 years of consecutive yearly gains, Gold price closed lower in 31 Dec 2012. 
 
 
 
Nothing I can do except to wait patiently for the Gold and Silver price to recover.
During the wait, I receive nothing at all in return as Gold and Silver do not pay any dividend. I thought to myself that I will be better off if I put these money in saving account as bank still pay interest.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In 2013, I begin to explore the stock market.
 
My virgin stock purchased in Aug 2013 was Singtel.
I sold it with a low 4 digit profits (10% gain) and that caught my interest.
I did a few other FIFO (Fast In Fast Out) of various stocks in 2013 & 2014 (See post here).
Luckily, the overall average returns from these FIFO was good to me.
 
I begin to liquid my gold and silver portfolio between 2014 - 2015 and go fully into the stock market.
 
The rest is history.
 
 
 
Luckily I made a right choice to fully liquid my gold and silver portfolio, else my portfolio will still be far far far away from $100,000.
 
 
 
 
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment